Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I Don't Feel Good

I'm writing this today sick and in bed. It generally takes a lot to knock me out of commission and spend any significant time in bed apart from sleeping at night. I won't bore you with whining about how crappy I feel or how I wish I could make it to band rehearsal tonight, but as I was climbing into bed after having some chicken soup for dinner (yes, how original), I thought the words "I don't feel good." Well actually, I said them out loud, which totally reminded me of a story.

A few years ago Millie had the flu. She had to be three or four at the time and spent most of the day in bed with a fever. Around early evening, she was feeling a little better and came downstairs to have some food. I don't remember what she ate, but that's not important anyway. After about 15 minutes, she wasn't feeling so well anymore and ran into the bathroom to vomit into the toilet. It was gross. I was holding Millie's hair back as she leaned over the toilet, and Beccee was holding a towel to wipe Millie's face. All of a sudden Millie starts saying "I don't feel good." Actually, it was closer to shouting. She kept repeating over and over "I don't feel good! I don't feel good!", but it seemed every time she said it she emphasized a different word. "I DON'T feel good! I don't feel GOOD!" She actually punched the toilet, she was getting so angry.

I don't say this to be mean, but Beccee and I thought it was the funniest thing we had ever seen. We were both cracking up and trying to hide our laughing from Millie, since she was feeling so bad and it's doubtful she would have appreciated the humor while in the moment. It got so bad, Beccee and I had to take turns leaving the room, regaining our composure and coming back in to comfort our little Millie.

The reason I decided to recall this story here is because it was a really good memory of Beccee and it made me smile and laugh without crying. At least at first without crying.

Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment